Marriott Harrison LLP continues to increase its international offering, focusing on key jurisdictions across all of its departments.
Below are some recent examples of Marriott Harrison LLP’s international work.
The Corporate Department continues to advise on a large number of international transactions. This includes advising:
- the sellers of a UK music production and distribution company to an American-based, French-owned multinational music corporation;
- a UK social media company on the demerger and transfer of its business to a new Delaware incorporated company;
- the sellers of an American tax compliance software provider to an American financial information services company;
- a Nigerian-based goods manufacturer, on its contractual arrangements with various multinational drinks companies;
- a UK mineral exploration and development company, in requesting its broker to enable the company to undertake exploration at its projects in western Australia and Nevada USA;
- a Canadian based solar energy provider on its application for consent to build a solar farm in the UK;
- the sellers of a UK online business directory service to a NASDAQ listed provider of internet services and online marketing solutions for small businesses;
- a global gaming company, creator of a popular mobile gaming app, with a further fundraising;
- a South American Consulate in connection with acquiring a new residence in the UK;
- a South American Aeronautical Commission in relation to a number of its contractual arrangements;
- a group of Ukrainian and Brazilian investors in connection with the set up of a new sportswear company;
- a Danish nutrients and supplements business on the acquisition of one of Europe’s leading manufactures of dietary supplements and natural medicine; and
- the African division of a global telecoms company in its share re-organisation of a UK subsidiary.
Our international banking work has included:
- advising a Spanish commercial bank on the transfer of its tranche of a syndicated LMA loan facility;
- advising a global Spanish financial institution in connection with a proposed debt restructuring of a group of companies with security interests in the UK; and
- advising shareholders of a Channel Island holding company with natural resource assets based in the USA, in its equity and debt reorganisation with an international bank.
We are also pleased to announce that we have been voted by the readers of Acquisition International as the “best banking and finance law team of the year – UK“.
Media, Technology & IP
The Media and Technology Department has advised:
- an AIM-listed media company on its acquisition from a California holding company of a catalogue of 6,000+ classic sound recordings;
- a Canadian music publisher on a number of issues relating to the exploitation of rights in its catalogues in the UK and Europe;
- a New York based distributor of domestic electrical appliances in relation to arrangements for its supplies from a UK manufacturer;
- a major US based charitable foundation on its support for a number of web-based projects in Africa that support disadvantaged children;
- a Canadian heritage recording artist on global recording and music publishing agreements;
- a Canadian writer-producer on copyright and other matters pertaining to exploitation of their productions in the UK and EU;
- a Dutch record company in relation to various matters pertaining to its ownership of a catalogue of UK sound recording copyrights;
- an independent UK film and TV production and sales company on various agreements for international distribution and exploitation of its catalogue of motion pictures;
- on numerous contentious issues arising with regard to the use of domain names and trade marks in international commerce including advising on ICANN arbitration procedures for resolution of disputes;
- a UK film and TV advertising commercials production company on various matters pertaining to its international arrangements for commissioned audio-visual productions;
- a New York based development and preproduction studio on protection of its trade marks in the EU; and
- a UK music channel on arrangements for overseas licensing of its brand and programming.
MH Dispute Resolution has been:
- advising an internet search optimisation specialist in a claim against a Guernsey-based supplier of products via the internet;
- advising a major Far East commodities trading company in connection with: (i) a dispute relating to its exclusive distributor of Russian sourced metals; and (ii) losses suffered by it on the purchase of exotic metals contaminated with asbestos;
- advising South American government entities in connection with issues relating to the purported service on them of High Court proceedings; and
- advising in connection with claims advanced against a client in connection with contracts for the building of stadia for the 2014 World Cup.
The MH Real Estate Department has continued to act for:
- a Malaysian Bank based in Kuala Lumpur, on its ongoing secured lending transactions in the UK; and
- a Saudi Arabian bank based in Riyadh, on its secured lending transactions in the UK.
The MH Employment Department has:
- advised a number of corporate clients based in Italy and America on a wide range of employment matters.
Conferences and Events
In June 2014, Andrew Wigfall and Jonathan Pearce attended the Primerus International conference in Zurich, regarding the legal management of international business.